Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Singin' in the Rain

Yippee!!!! Yahoo!!!! It's raining. I knew if I just thought about washing the car, the rain clouds would arise. Imagine if rain clouds were organized like a taxi service.

*Rain Cloud 689 reports to central dispatch, "I have a report of someone thinking about washing their car, Repeat, thoughts about washing a car in the State of Illinois". APB goes out. Red lights flash on and off. Sirens are blaring loudly. Louis DePalma inspired voice comes over a loudspeaker. "RED ALERT". All clouds in the midwest vicinity are to go to Chicagoland area and rain until further notice. All leaves have been cancelled. Go to your designated raining zones at once. Repeat. This is not a drill. "*

Rain is a good thing. As Rosie Greer said in the song ,"It's Alright To Cry", tears are just raindrops on your eyes. I'm not too fond of thunderstorms. At least I'm not in tornado alley. In college, Zelda told me of times that her dad used to take herself and Saffron, her sister, out in the car to chase tornadoes when they were younger and living in Kansas. When we were watching an MTV interview with Steven Tyler ,of Aerosmith, he was able to point out that Tyler was lying about being drug-free. He proceed's to point out all the physical cues that someone is still using. It's hard to believe it's was all that long ago. Remember to try and use your power for good and not evil.

This brings me to the following rant. Apparently the film industry still proceeds it acceptable to poke fun at larger sized women. There's a certain actor who shall be nameless has uttered words that involve making fun of this segment of the population. It's accepted in a well-it's-okay-because-mr. magnetism-condones-it-in the script. Excuse me, Mr. Magnetism to have you do it in one film it's a fluke. But to repeat the same verbal garbage in yet another film, there is no excuse. You justify your independent films and matter-of-factly defend them and I respect that.
But why in the name is all decent and good do you make fun of large women in the commerical films that you make? Did some big beautiful diva finally put you in your place and this is some sort of revenge your dishing out in a number of films? An email to NAAFA may be in order.

Society may call us zaftig, bbw, rubenesque, voluptuous, living large and in charge, brickhouse, more bounce to the ounce, fat, chubby, morbidly obese, pigs, hippoes and others. I think of myself as a human being first and foremost. There are other actresses who are out in the film industry who are to be applauded for proving that being big, beautiful, brainy,and talented does not leave you on the sidelines of life. As well there are women who have drawn a line in the sand and said whatever size I am it's okay. I don't have to mutilate my body through starvation and use plastic surgery to fit some false ideal that a man, who'd never change his physical flaws, came up with in the advertising industry. Thank you Delta Burke, Kate Winslet, Camryn Manheim, M'onique, Margaret Cho, Queen Latifah, Janeane Garofalo, and Emme. As well as authors such as Jennifer Weiner, and others who provide realistic, positive portrayals of living in real bodies.

And so for when the time is right for me to change my outside, it will be on my time, my terms, and for myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home