Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Average Everyday Sane Psycho Supergoddess

I was so ready to write about how thrilled I was with yesterday's win of the Chicago Bears over New Orleans Saints, 20-17. And a little punter shall lead them.

I was going to write about my over the weekend rental of "Raising Helen". Rave about John Corbett. Discuss Kate Hudson acting abilities. Comment on Joan Cusack's incredible ability to deliver deadpan humor.

I was going to ask opinions about my toying with the idea of signing up for the Bataan Death March for writers. Yes Easy Readers I'm talking about NaNoWriMo.

I could dish about a certain Mr. Potential who actually lives in the same state ney driving distance from me. Maybe I will.

Today I hit the wall of being caregiver to all around me. I had to take care of Fred's paperwork because he misplaced it. Next plan of attack was getting Ethel to the oral surgeon for her dental problems. One of the many downsides of surviving chemo is that your teeth are royally screwed with. The poor thing spent the weekend with a swollen jaw. We are very lucky that I was able to switch the appointment to today. What was supposed to be a consultation turned out to be a extraction for Ethel. Too make matters worse they were over an hour late in getting to see her. Then I get an slight attitude from the admin that I was supposed to bring dental records. Gee when I made the appointment on Friday, you could have mentioned it when you told me to bring a copy of a list of her medication and dosages. Somehow I was able to remember that. Never fear easy readers. It came back to her in the form of a disgruntled patient. I'd like to call Tacky Tina.

Tacky Tina owes the office 6k in unpaid dental bills. She goes to the admin and starts pleading to see if the charges can get reduced. Apparently Tina signed a document stating that she was responsible for the payment of services for her child. Mr. Deadbeat Dad, Tina's ex-husband and the name she used to describe him, said he was going to pay half. He is no where to be found and allegedly has left the state. She claims the last time she saw him was when they were at the office for their kid's appointment and were leaving the building. She's really in a bind to say the least. Even if you sign legal document with another person, if your pal bails you get check holding the bag so to speak. Later the admins told me, they tried their best to calm her down. But they were just the messengers.

Perhaps the insurance industry could be removed from the medical field entirely if we just went back to a barter type system for services. Bring the doctors cooked meals, fruits, vegetables, live animals, and cash would work too. Unfortunately, the doctors aren't making as much either. After paying their huge insurance liability bills, one the highest in the nation thank you morons, overhead, etc..the medical experts have less time to spend with patients. The doctor comped us the x-rays because they had an emergency come in and we were very understanding. What were we supposed to do? No one likes to be in pain. Complaining would have made matter worse. We were there anyway and the couch was comfy. The massive amount of reading material was all up to date. Remarkable.

In true Ethel style she complained of aches and pains, but the dental assistant kindly reminded her of her good fortune. She survived cancer.She has family to take care of her. She has a lot more than most people. I almost fell over because I knew Ethel couldn't say a thing to this woman to bring her down. I debated whether Zach would want to see Grandma's tooth. It would have been used as a cautionary tale as to why you should always brush your teeth. But we decided against it.

After receiving the post-op instructions our destination was in rush-hour traffic. I cannot believe some of the complete morons that flew under George Ryan's radar and got licenses. A word to the wise for the jackass that was driving in a obnoxious car, speeding and having to stop at a red light is not going to get you there any faster. Ethel kept complaining about one slow driver ahead of us. I just said I don't want to hear it. As long as we get there on time that's all that matters. What was really frightening was that the slow driver's brake lights were completely out. When I changed lanes and was stopped at the light on Peterson I finally was able to make contact with them. After they found out they said thank you because no one had told them. Good grief, if you had food caught between your teeth, toilet paper on your shoe, or your pantyhose tucked into the back of your dress, wouldn't you want to know?


Because we took so long at the office, there was no time bring Ethel back home . She went with me because I promised Minnie to pick Zach up from pre-school today and babysit until she got home. She was off to another business meeting out of town. In an interesting turn of events, B.J. offered to pick up Zach while we waited for them to get home . Poor Ethel was stuck with an ice pack on her face for most of her visit. But it was actually pretty fun.

Zach gave us the low-down on the toddler set. He sat down next to two little girls at a I'm guessing recess and they told him to go away. I thought, "Damn getting rejected must bite at that age". Too bad it doesn't get any better. He likes his new teachers. We watched Bear and the Big Blue House. He showed me his latest artistic creation. I explained to him that Grandma had a tooth pulled and she wasn't feeling well. Zach tells me matter-of-factly, "She needs to brush her teeth". Then he went through the motions and explained it to her. It was too cute. He thought her dentures in a box were very funny.

After dinner, we watched a movie. I tried to explained to him who Ann Margaret is and how she's from Illinois by way of Sweden. Somehow we got on the subject of age. He asks "what's an age". I said " It's a number that tells people how old you are". Then I ask "What age do you tell people when they want to know how old you are? " Zach answers " I say I'm six". I told B.J. please remember this when he starts trying to get into the clubs with a fake i.d.

Also part of post dinner humor was my creative response to an empty sugar bowl. I go there and it's completely empty. I kindly ask "The next time the sugar fairy comes by tell her to please fill it up". Zach and B.J. laughed their heads off. Was it that funny? Anytime Second City on Wells wants to offer me a scholarship, I'm so totally there.

I tried at least five times to leave so I could get Ethel home. Zach was so sad. He didn't want me to go. He didn't want to read stories. He kept asking, "Could you please play with me?". My heart just sank.There is nothing that I wouldn't do for him. Finally we left for the ride home.

After I got Ethel and Fred situated, she still expected more of me. She wanted me to sleep in her room. I just couldn't handle it anymore. I actually said no. I didn't yell, scream, shout, swear, or anything. I was totally calm believe it or not. I said" I've given to you, Fred, and B.J. all day, and now is time for me" It's not like I was headed to Timbuktu, just to my space. Who knows? Once small step for me one giant leap for caregivers everywhere.

One last thought, I'd like to give a shout out to State Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka on deciding to run in the Republican primary. You go girl!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home