Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

One thing leads to another

Bless her heart, Aunt Imogene strikes again. She must have put Beaureguarde in headlock because he left me a voicemail message. Allegedly he wants me to work for him as a receptionist a few days a week. Hello, I'd like to order a plate of "Hell No" to go. Thank you.

Beau is a disturbed soul. He overcame a stuttering problem. I suspect that he was molested by older cousins on Bubba's side of the family. It would explain why he was so mean and abusive to his sisters as well as to B.J. and myself. Growing up he and B.J. were pretty tight. They did most of the similar things but the tide turned when it came to college. Beau went to State U., remained independent, and had friends like Gizzard the Lizard. Meanwhile B.J went to Whattsamatta U. and pledged a fraternity. They lost touch and it's sad. Beau became pretty much a recluse and avoided family functions ever since. In a way I don't blame him but it would be nice if he and B.J. could patch things up. Ironically,they are living their lives in a parallel way. Both are married , in the same profession, and have children. Beau's wife is a sweetheart and a saint.

It is a riot to see Aunt Imogene and Uncle Bubba go into grandparent mode. They have so mellowed out since they've gotten older.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Omg...you frickin' crack me up...and I just realized something...you make your family sound like a bunch of redneck hicks. I'll take "Dueling Banjos" for $500 please.

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger Starla Spaulding said…

    You know that I changed the names not so much protect the innocent but to cover my ass.

    When you take away ethnicity, every family has some relatives that are redneck hick types somewhere swinging on their family tree.I'm not ashamed of who I am or where I come from.Without them, I wouldn't be where I am.I love them.Sometimes I don't like them very much.

    You bring the banjos and I'll bring the moonshine.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home