Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

'Cause two out of three ain't bad?

Nothing like the change in the weather to put a different perspective on things. Aside from sounding like Kathleen Turner, my cold and cough are doing just fine.


One of the frustrating things for me in caregiving is that Ethel just chooses arbritarily to have me deal with things that she could have easily dealt with herself. Yes I get irritated sometimes because she knows better. Then she doesn't tell me when she really needs my help. I randomly go into her room and discover she's having problems with her attempting to put on her colostomy bag after her shower. She knows that when she's doing things like this that she shouldn't be alone. If she got hurt, I'd held responsible for not being there. The relatives would have a field day with that. How the hell am I supposed to know if she's doing something unless tells me. When I ask her, what needs to be done or if she needs anything, she denies completely. Then after the fact she says she needed a,b,c, done. I'm not a mindreader nor did I a degree in psychic channeling.

The last thing I need to do right now is add another person to my caregiving duties. I've been testing the waters as far dating. I know I can't expect to be as choosy seeing as I'm not perfect by any means. My struggle is with reestablishing certain boundaries.Am I wrong for wanting to date when I don't have it all figured out either? After all water rises to the same level.

It's amazing how certain dealbreakers fall by the wayside as we age. When I was high school, no dating was allowed period.When I was in college, the expectation was that the guy be from the same tribe as me and college educated. After my parents had there brushes with the grim reaper, now it's as long as you love him, it's okay by us. But they as well as B.J. make snide comments about those who've chosen to marry outside of the tribe. I know I will never get their approval with whatever I do. It's just a gimme for me and I have to try and find peace with it.I have try to incorporate my own standards and get back to my true self.

That being said, the following quote that comes from MissNYC. It pretty much says it all.
"Basically I want a good,decent,kind, well rounded man who shares my values, goals, and treats me with respect and love. As well someone who's a good friend, tall, sincere/honest,fun,funny, respects my family, and women in general.Someone I can be proud to call my partner."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home