Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

When will you realize Vienna waits for you

Well in true Murphy's law form, I got my hair done and a manicure. Now I have nowhere to use it. The advice I could have used two weeks ago, I just got today.

I ventured out of my comfort zone and went to the south side of the fair city to get a copy of the police report.Witchypoo at 311, tells me that I need copy of Fred's driver's license and a written letter from Fred giving me permission to pick up his paperwork. He takes 2 days to get back to me.Finally on my beauty day, he decides to get his ass in gear.

Then it took forever for me to find the informational report number from the report because I misplaced it.Following that,I misplace the car keys.For further comedic pleasure the house keys decided to get into the act.Like clockwork, I'm about to leave the house. It's a Minnie request to get Zach from preschool and pick up some groceries. She is unable to because she has a deadline. Of course add that to the list.

I really need to find my winter gear because it is winter in Chicagoland. Easy readers nothing says cold like the phrase wind chill factor before it.I begin my descent to the expressway.Hokey smokes it is all torn up and busy in the middle of the afternoon. It really wasn't that bad but I wish my day had started sooner. The directions for Mapquest actually worked out for a change. For some reason the last turn is the opposite of what it says but I was able to turn around and get back on schedule.

Wow has the neighborhood changed since "The Cell" opened and the new police station went in nearby. I felt comfortable in the surroundings. Suprisingly no one bothered me. It's standard to get one stranger catcall of sorts. I fell in love with the different brownstones. Parking was just awful. On my third go around I found a spot. I'm embarrassed to say the walk from the car to the station gave me a work out. When I got inside, it seemed easy enough. I filled out the paperwork and waited for my turn while reading "Tuesdays With Morrie". An hour and plus later they finally get to me. I go up there to collect the paperwork and I give her the papers the lady on the phone said to bring with me. The clerk took one look at me and must have thought I was nuts. She told me it wasn't true. Grrrr. Stupid 311 lying lady.

After I left I decided to take a different route back B.J. and Minnie's. I went through I.I.T. because the entrance to 55 was closed for construction. I was very impressed with the new construction and passed by places I had only heard of like The Cotton Club. South Michigan Avenue has certainly gone through quite a makeover since I was there. The drive felt very comfortable. I was at ease. Cruising on Lake Shore Drive was just cake. I was floored when I went through Uptown. I couldn't believe the changes.The mexican take out place that used to be next to The Green Mill was replace by The Broadway Grill. If The Green Mill wasn't there, I think I would have panicked.

I tell B.J. I'm leaving Pop's car key's in case where I parked is a bother to his neighbor.Asshole makes me repark the car. Hey wiseguy I doing you a favor remember.
I take Minnie's car to go get Zach. Guess what easy readers? No fucking gas in the tank. I guess as a smug married she doesn't have to worry about such things. I had to spend money out of own pocket. Just dandy.

Zach's school must have something going down. Today was the first time that I was asked for i.d. to pick him up. During free time, Zach was on the floor underneath some desks. The first thing he tells me that his mommy said that I'm supposed to take him to Chuck E. Cheese. Yeah right. I can't believe Minnie and B.J. forgot to send him to preschool with out gloves. He is definitely outgrowing his carseat as well as his winter coat.

On our way from the parking lot to the grocery store, a little girl was admiring a grocery cart where the front is shaped like a kiddy fire engine car. Her mom was trying to get her to go so I go get it for Zach. I thought how cool of her mom to let her have that dream of driving a fire truck. I can guarantee to Ethel would not have let me have that dream as a kid.

Once inside, it was a blast. Zach was embarrassed because I was a little loud in trying to find the babywipes. I'd check on him every so often. I asked him what was he thinking. He says,"Let's see what's on sale". I just about died. He felt like such a grown up when he was able to pick up the hot sauce bottle off of the shelf.

When I get there and I give her the receipts, I only got half of the money what was owed me. Turn about is fair play I say. I explain that I need to get to the Student Salon before they close. Minnie must have been possessed by the Holy Spirit because she said go ahead and get pampered. I haul ass to get there. Courtesy of cell phone magic I called first to make sure I could get in. They took me.

For a single color process for long hair and a manicure it was $35.00. I was on such a high from being relaxed that I actually left Student Salon without my hat and gloves.Luckily someone had found them and I got them back. Dinner was courtesy of Taco Bell.

I admit I was disappointed that he broke our date. I'm just numb.As online pal told me,"Be who you are,if they don't like it then it's just wasn't meant to be".

P.S. It's your loss buddy.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You were really close to my 'hood! You should have come to visit me!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home