Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

And so it goes

Happy new month to one and all. Enjoy the new template.

It figures a natural disaster occurs to further remind me that I do not have it as bad as those who live in Louisiana or on the Gulf Coast. It pisses me off that five years ago it was on the table to have a retaining wall built to protect the levees. But no no!! Heaven forbid money gets spent to prevent disasters. The media describes how stoic the Governor, Senator, and Mayor and former Mayor are throughout the post Hurricane Katrina cleanup. Well hell they got out and I'm guessing their families did as well. WGN's Steve Cohran show commented show they are all of this media is there. Hey if you're going to cover a disaster, wouldn't it be a good idea to bring some supplies with you to help out? If they have I think it's great.

I will do my part and post some websites where you can contribute your money. Here it goes.
Red Cross
Humane Society's Disaster Relief Fund - people did lose their pets. One news programs showed a guy who walked over 15 miles trying to find his dog that was lost. I hope he find her.
The McCormick Tribune Foundation -for every dollar you donate they will match your fifty cents .
Yarn.com -link came to me in an email courtesy of my Stitch n Bitch group. They will donate 10% of their sales from now until September 11.
In case I misspelled websites, please google accordingly.

My prayers go out to those who lost loved ones,friends, and pets. I commend the military, police, doctors, nurses, cnas, other personnel, as well as volunteers who had to stay behind to take care of the elderly and the sick in the hospitals. I haven't been able to get a hold of a close friend whose brother was living in Louisiana as of 2002. Dr. Goewert I pray you're okay and safe.

On WGN's "The World of John Williams", they interviewed Dr. James Sullivan , affiliated with St. Joseph's Hospital in Chicago. He was in New Orleans for a convention prior to the hurricane. He has been conducting triage along with other doctors in The Ritz-Carlton Ballroom. Over 1000 are trapped there. They are treating the sick and educating the others on the diseases they will get when they come into immediate contact with the dirty water because of the germs. Diarrhea will be just one of the many illnesses that they will get because they weren't the chosen few who could get out. There are now reports of riots in Baton Rouge. And if pillaging isn't bad enough now there are reports of rapes as well.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Starla Spalding wrote: "There are now reports of riots in Baton Rouge. And if pillaging isn't bad enough now there are reports of rapes as well."

    Hmmm...sound like the Middle Ages? What struck me is how quickly civilization collapsed in just 2 days. Somehow it reminds me of "Lord of the Flies"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home