Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

My Kind of Town

Good Mornin' ,Good Mornin'
Chicago Police recovered Fred's car,
Good Mornin' ,Good Mornin' to you,
Joe Burglar and Joe Stalker are now in lock up,
Damn straight Starla pressed charges
Good Mornin', Good Mornin' to you.

Due to the fact, that this thing is going to trial I can't dish any details. B.J. was right as to who he thought it was. What was funny was that the police contacted us at around the same time the incident occurred last week. It was a very deja-vu moment. At least this time, I was packing a hammer when the news came. If it was good enough for Arlo Guthrie and Trini Lopez, then it's fine by me.

In true Fred fashion, he was belligerent and threatened to report B.J.'s car as stolen if I went down to the police station. Hell bells, I was going to see about HIS car. He was such a jackass. It wasn't as if I was heading down to The Green Mill to tie one on. Althought if the timing had been better, I would have done that. I had to get down there to press charges or else they were going to let them go. I was not having it. I put on my big girl panties and took off. I'll admit that I felt like I was the shit for a little bit when the theme song from the movie "Shaft" by Isaac Hayes came on the radio. Then it was back to the regulary scheduled thoughts of "Please God, don't let me get carjacked on the way to the police station". I had to stop by a gas station to fill up. B.J. was a weasel with leaving the car with little gas. I don't know how this happened but I managed to almost fill up his car on a twenty dollar bill. I didn't feel like doing the math. But with prices being at least $3.39, even I know that doesn't add up. I felt like I was having a Hanukkah moment and I'm not Jewish. For the non-Jewish readers, the condensed version of events is after the battle the amount of oil to light the Menorah was only enough for a day but stayed lit for seven days. Or was it 8?

Some lady got there ahead of me trying to find her son that was arrested as a juvenile. She tried to act nonchalant about it. Excuse me, where the hell were you that your son was out at this time of night? I know I'm old school on a lot of things. But I had friends who were raised by single moms and someone they managed to mind them. Their moms did not play when it came to expecting them to stay out of trouble.

I talked with one of the arresting officers. I felt like I was in an episode of "Cops". It felt surreal. I saw the car. It creeped me out to see their crap in the car. I was naive in thinking I'd find the religious article that was left in the glove compartment. But they must have had some kind of conscience because there were those little brochures from Victory Something Church. Per Fred's instructions, the car is in an impound lot.

I felt kind of embarrassed when I was playing phone tag between 311, towing center, and officers. She asked if I could bring someone with me to take the car or else it was going to the impound lot. B.J. and Minnie were not around to help. Fred was out of the question. He didn't want me making extra calls on his phone. Since my sense of direction is not the greatest ,I knew I'd feel bad to bother Catsmeow and wake up another household. I knew BonnieHuntJr. didn't have a car. Ethel didn't feel like going. When I told her I didn't have anyone, she said "Don't you have any other friends?". I had to tell her I didn't have anyone. I hold myself partially responsible in this. Since I moved back home to help take care of them, I haven't expanded my social circle. Extra money is not a luxury around here. I lost touch with my out-of-state friends since Fred and Ethel never gave me their messages. There are times that I truly cherish my solitude. There are times where it's a curse and I cry. This experience is a true life lesson for me to get on with my life and get going.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awwww yeah! Sing it Ole’ Blue Eyes!

    All I can say to the two Joes is BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! SUCKAHS!

    Oh, and Starla dear, you may call me any time. I would have been more than happy to accompany you to take the car. Now call 311 back and tell them that yes, you DO INDEED have a friend!

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger The Humanity Critic said…

    great post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home