Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Slipping into darkness

Well it's official. The following quote comes courtesy of a story in The Chicago Tribune.
"All Marshall Field's stores will convert to Macy's nameplate in fall 2006."

I felt like someone had punched me in the gut when I read the news. I was too stunned to notice the online survey where at least 90% of the people responding will not shop at the Chicago Macy's. FWIW I did post in the comment section. That's probably the closest I'll ever get to having my opinion posted in a major newspaper.

I swear people in positions of power have been making (in my best Dr. Phil voice) what-hell-were-you-thinking decisions lately. Mayor Nagin wanted to have people come back to New Orleans to live even though the drinking water is not safe among the other hazards. Why did it take for another tropical storm for him to catch a clue?

Please exercise your right to let Federated Stores know what a bunch of buffoons they are for changing the name. CEO Terry Lundgren, the people who conducted your marketing survey must have done them in New York because there's no way the locals would have agreed to this.
www.federated-fds.com/contact/general.asp Also add your name to the online petition at http://www.keepitfields.org.

Macy's is New York. Marshall Field's is Chicago. I still don't shop in the local Bloomindale's just on principle. Over 130yrs. of a legacy will be lost. The original Marshall Fields established customer service standards that are still internationally practiced today. It was part what is now considered to be the first outdoor mall in Lake Forest. It's Marshall Fields Frango Mints not Macy's Frango Mints. Mayor Daley isn't fooling anyone. How hard would it have been to make it a national landmark ? I would rather the building be turned into condos like it did in Evanston than it be a Macy's. And jobs will be lost. Most likely in January 2007, in a decision using the jargon of corporate restructuring. I feel so sorry for my Aunt Frederica. She works at the one in Schaumburg.

Enjoy the stroll down my memory lane. Field's was the store that you shop for a special occasion. I bought my first swatch watch there. I bought of part of my rush week wardrobe there. I went to the Walnut Room for my birthday when I was in my twenties. I remember the linen table cloths and the deep dark color of the wood. The real Frango mints that were chocolate ecstasy. The Marshall Field's clock on State Street. has been a meeting place for the masses. It was a landmark for me when I had to walk at night from my painting class. I knew I was getting closer to home when the clock was in my sights. The Christmas windows are something I loved to see every season. I will it make it my mission to take Zach there this Christmas season. I hope to pick up a Marshall Field's musical snowglobe.

I understand the need to make a buck more than anyone. Come on. It's bad enough Comiskey Park is now Cellular Field. Wrigley's chewing gum is now going to be made somewhere in Georgia. I still cringe when tourists call The United Center, Chicago Stadium. I'll probably feel the same way when Carson Pirie Scott hits the skids. If they every outsource Garrett's Popcorn, a plague of locusts will march down Michigan Avenue.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was in shock when I heard this on the news and I have a few comments on the matter myself.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger The Humanity Critic said…

    Yes, it is rather shocking indeed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home