Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Try A Little Tenderness

It said when people make plans that God laughs.I had been looking forward to attending Thanksgiving Eve mass tonight.I just felt the need to go to a house of worship because I have been feeling bitchy lately. Contrary to what I may write, it's not fun being mad.It eventually comes to a head in scenarios such as these.

Ever since I found out about the service I kept asking Ethel if she wanted to go to mass with me.Every time she said,"Well, I don't know. I'll think about it." It's at times like this I see Grandma StarlaAnne's mannerisms.Grandma StarlaAnne was very cruel to Ethel. There was no love lost between that mother and daughter. Unfortunately, the cycle has continued with me and Ethel.

I was so happy when B.J. called to "see what I was up to" (code for: can you please babysit so Minnie and Binnie can go out and trashed) and I mentioned that my plans were to go to mass.I didn't try to change Ethel's decision and went to the store to pick up some last minute things for tomorrow's Thanksgiving meal.

As expected,the store parking lot was very full.I was able to score a Bob The Builder combo book/DVD for Zach.It was an unexpected surprise. When I got back,I told Ethel it was last call if she wanted to go with me. Then she says,"Why should I get ready from now since the service isn't until tomorrow." I was dumbfounded. She knew darn good and well that the service was tonight. I explained that it was tonight and not tomorrow. Then she complained that she didn't have enough time to get ready.

I swear there are certain days I wish she wasn't in front of the TV all of the time. The programming from the motherland is absolutely vomitrocious. Aside from the news and the few plays or old movies shown, the rest of it is just crap. And what really upsets me is that the TV executives making decision are all college graduates. They could work to provide better programming. Instead it's a parade of scantily dressed models who belong in a red light district or Winthrop Ave. and scripts for sitcoms that would could be better put to use lining the bottom of birdcages.

I was about to leave to go get ready and Ethel's eyes started to well up because she wanted to go too.Of course I felt about 1 centimeter small and decided not to go. Instead, I hung out and now have Fred's secret turkey recipe.Deal with that Minnie.

B.J. called back again to see if I had gone to services.I ended up having quite an interesting conversation on the phone. I told him I didn't go because I felt bad that Ethel got the dates mixed up. He thought I should go anyway. I explained how I still felt uncomfortable going to BrandX Church. He still didn't get it. So I provided him the background about how Reverend Meanie has snubbed me during services. Mr. Sermon on the Mount told me that God teaches us about forgiveness. B.J. hoped that I should try doing that with Reverend Meanie. He informed me that Minnie and Binnie ended up staying home because Zach wasn't feeling well. I mentioned to Fred that we are all taking Airborne Formula before we leave to go over there or else it's toddlevirus as a parting gift.

I've been thinking about forgiveness ever since I got off of the phone. I can't remember the verse exactly but it's something along the lines of being slow to anger and quick to listen. I'll revamp it when I find it.Perhaps I'll give it some more thought. It inspired me enough to give Mr. Potential another shot because he asked me out for this weekend. I know what I wrote and I could go back and edit easily. But I'll let it stand.

As all of us go to our designated corners of the country to take part in this eating ritual, take a moment to reflect.Be extra kind to the sales clerks,servers,cashiers, hospital staff,police,fireman and anyone else who has to work on this holiday. Some of them are not getting any additional pay for working tomorrow. They are taking time out their holiday too and not because they want to. I've done my time working on major holidays and no doubt it's a big stinkeroo magoo.

When we are seated at the table,let's remember those who have sacrificed so that we can be here. The Pilgrims took a big risk by coming over to somewhere new and making friends with the Native American Indians. In turn the Native American Indians have gotten the shaft but the saving grace is they are not extinct as a people. Their contributions should be acknowledged and revered.For the native born Americans who feel the need to tell new legal immigrants to go back to your country. Unless you are a Native American Indian and can prove lineage to your tribe,perhaps it's your turn to get on the bus, Gus.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:56 PM, Blogger Sillie Lizzie said…

    Sounds like you could use this.

    http://sillielizziesrock.blogspot.com/2005/11/give-thanks-to-whom.html

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Starla Spaulding said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Starla Spaulding said…

    Edited to add-blogger should really have a edit button when you want to change something you write in your own blog comments and it's in your own blog.Lol. If they do I plead ignorance,'cause I'm still new at this.

    Heidi, thank your for your post. I did take the time to read it.You raised some interesting points that I wasn't aware of. If fact I may use some of your ideas at the dinner table for that lull in the conversation. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home