Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

A litte bit older and a little less bolder

How my day was a shit sandwich. A rotten beginning, a fun middle, and scary end.

Last night I set my watch alarm for 6am. I had a killer toothache that kept me up until 2am. I had a 9am appointment to take the car in with Fred. The alarm never went off or most likely it missed my radar. Fred decides he doesn't want to go after all. Neither of them bother to wake me up. I woke up at 8:45am. Cursing at alarm. Don't you just love swearing at inatimate objects as if they can react just like people?

While I'm racing to grab coffee, Fred casually says I knocked on your door but you didn't wake up. Understatement of the year. When you see someone sleeping who has to get somewhere and missed hearing the alarm, chances are it would be a good idea to get them up. God I must have just made their day. Ethel lives for days when I fuck up. If there was a Olympic sport for post error wrap ups I've got your Gold medal team right here folks! Expected arguement ensues between Fred and I. Ethel interrupts with her words of wisdom because she's being ignored. He threatens to throw a midget coffee table, I don't know how to describe it and I don't have a digital camera, at me. I reply 911 and your dream can come true. He goes on to utter the bane of their existence, "We should have never let you go to Missouri." Off to the dealership I went.

A thousand and one blessings to the dealership for having fresh coffee, to Johnny Cash for still having a warranty, and to Amy Grant who's soothing voice calmed my nerves after such a rocky start. I almost burst into tears in the waiting area her songs touched me that much. Because neither of them called to cancel the appointment with Dr. Curious I had to do it. I knew there was no snowballs chance in hell that we'd make it out there in time. To my displeasure I got Mrs. Curious on the phone. Lucky me. She was pissed that I called an 2 hours before the appointment to cancel. So, what else is new? My name must be etched in stone for being in the family doghouse as often as I am. I stopped off at My Sister's Closet for some much needed shopping therapy. I need to parlay my anger into something more positive I know. Moving the Chi and all that. I scored some great outfits at great prices. I added my nickel spin on the topic of the day. The next stop was the local library to pick up a DVD I had put on hold. I had a great conversation with the reference librarian who gave me some good job advice as well grad school and encouraged me to become a volunteer to teach English. Afterwards I stocked up on groceries and came home for a late lunch.

I chatted with Ethel who stated she would have been more than happy to have woken me if only I had asked. Fred threatens to take the car away from me. Um yeah okay, then who's going to do the errands, drive you and Ethel to family functions, church, and doctor's visits? I left again to pick up a item greatly needed and on sale. I was shocked that one location closed it was never advertised as going out of business. That's too bad. I went to the next one, found what I needed. I picked up the shampoo but forgot the dental floss. The last stop was to pick up a crossword puzzle book for Ethel. I arrive at 6:30pm to the following situation.

I pull in to park. There are four tall thugs sitting on my neighbors car, which is the spot next to mine. I know my neighbors do not know them nor do they associate with them. Race and ethnicity is not a issue but being dressed in current gangbanger clothing was enough for me to go into a panic. My gut instinct was screaming for me not to get out of that car. I stayed inside. I was not about to leave the car and get jumped or worse. Four men vs. one women, you do the math. I'm not Zena and I'm not old enough to pull of the Old Lady Crazy mode on them. I could hear them talking smack about me through the closed windows. The negative lexicon documented by misogynist rappers spewed out their mouths like a open fire hydrant. I called Fred and Ethel on the cell but they didn't pick up. I had had enough and finally dialed 911. The 911 center wanted me to describe them. I was too frightened to turn around and play I spy a thug with the 911 person but informed them that if I left the car at least the cops could do a thorough inspection of things afterwards.

For whatever reason the thugs must have gotten bored with me and left. I finally get ahold of Fred and Ethel to let them know I'm coming inside. Of course, Fred spins the whole incident that it was my fault for being out. Excuse me. I was not coming home at 3am from a night out on the town. I would like to go to grad school and University of Phoenix online is not how I want to go. Daylight savings time can't come soon enough for me. I know rapists attack in the daytime too. Post-scaredy cat wrap, I thought I should learn how to use a firearm. I can't believe I'm saying this. I'm the same person who took an Intro to Peace Studies class. I break and honk for animals so I don't run over them. I have taken a self-defense class. I guess it's a sign for me to brush up. Any advice would be appreciated as to how I could have handled the situation differently.

The silver lining to this day was I got a letter. I was tickled pink at reading the information. It was the last thing I read before I went to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home