Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Black Friday

Originally this was one of the busiest shopping days of the year.It means that this is the day when most stores stop operating from a loss and go into gains. It was to mark the start of holiday shopping. But gone are the days that are portrayed in films such as Shop Around The Corner.

Now stores are open on Thanksgiving.It's not enough to open an hour before the store usually opens. But now corporate retail America has completely flipped it's lid. CompUSA was open at midnight.Local news reported that the one off of Michigan Ave. had a stampeded of over 4k people. Their sheer numbers broke the escalator. Nationally the news featured fights breaking out at several Wal-Marts between customers so they could get lap tops. On the Kathy & Judy show, a woman lamented that she had allegedly stood online in the cold from 9p.m on Thanksgiving 'til a store opened at 5a.m. to get a computer. Because of poor planning from the store, the people waiting in line never had a chance and didn't even get what they wanted.

There is only so much money a person can handle before it becomes a detriment to a person's character.Examples of people who have done nothing but ride on the coattails of their ancestors are Elizabeth Paige Laurie and Paris Hilton.Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins.

This year,I didn't even bother to suit up to shop at the crack of dawn.I had a chance to view ads early and nothing appealed to me as a must have for a good sale price that I needed to be anywhere at the crack of dawn for.After working all of those years in retail, it still feels weird to not be working during the holidays at a store.

At least I'm off of the hook with B.J. and Minnie regarding gifts.Due to my lack of finances,aside from getting gifts for Zach, that is the best I can do. In her drunken haze Binnie let it slip that B.J. and Minnie are having a dinner party tomorrow. I'm not invited nor are Fred and Ethel. I know I'm a embarrassment to B.J. in a lot of ways. That's why he stopped by to hang out today. I know that's why we went to the movies.You know what? I've come to terms with it. It doesn't mean that I like it.

In turkey mishaps,Aunt Imogene suggested to her sister-in-law Rose that she stuff her bird with apples so it would taste sweet. The only thing the apples did was turn her bird black and taste terrible. Nothing like a heaping dose of bad handed help from Aunt Imogene. Bless her heart.

Fred tried to get me to take Ethel out but to no avail. Just as we were about to leave, her upper teeth gave her wicked pain.It was Anbesol and a call to Dr. Penny for a refill.Everytime I see him I want to ask if he's related to 50cent. I know it's bad joke but that's how my mind works.

In adventures with Mr. Potential,a date is being finalized.Because I'm the type of woman who doesn't bail on girlfriend plans for a man, he gets Sunday night.I really need to go find my copy of He's Just Not That Into You.Is it sketchy that he hasn't asked for my number?

Today was the first day that it snowed the kind of snow that sticks to the street. Sillyheart that I am,I pulled a Peanuts move and tried to catch snowflakes with my tongue.The drive wasn't bad at all.But you can tell certain people were freaking out by the way they handled their car.

If you're reading this please remember a friend's step-dad in your prayers.While people were picking each other apart over inanimate objects that in the end mean nothing, she had to race through the Chicago streets to get him to his doctor's affiliated hospital emergency room.Because of insurance weasels, if you go to a hospital where your doctor doesn't have hospital priveledges,the emergency room is required to put you through a battery of extra testing because that hospital has to cover all of the bases to avoid malpractice suits.The doctor says he had a heart attack.No updates as of yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home