Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Pocketful of Miracles

I can say this was the best Thanksgiving to date. I drove Fred and Ethel over there with virtually no arguing on the way there. I decided to follow Fred's direction part of the way and kept my mouth shut. We could have done without Mr. Joe Ethnic who blocked us when the sign clearly states DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION. So I decided since he couldn't see the bird we had in the trunk, he should get the bird with my finger.

We ended having three cans of whipped cream compared to last year when we didn't have any. The food was amazing. Minnie and Binnie added dried cranberries to Stove-Top Stuffing and it was delicious. This years forgotten table item was bread.

Zach was definitely comic relief.After Grandma Ethel gave him chocolate, he was good to go riding around his tricycle in circles around the house.He ended up reading stories to Grandma and Grandpa. It was really precious.However what got on my nerves was how Binnie kept calling Zach a brat within earshot. If I had pulled that crap, Minnie and B.J. would have read me the riot act. Zach is a only child and that's through no fault of his own. After I had had enough, I finally said well maybe when Zach gets a brother or sister,he won't be that way. Minnie responded,"Yes, when and if that happens.". Zing. Because Binnie was boozing it up, she bumped into Zach causing him to crush a few fingers.I didn't like that they were trying to minimize his pain. Ethel told me story that apparently Binnie was telling her other nephew from her sister,Audrey, that he was spoiled and other mean things. This twelve year old decided that he had had enough and he pulled a knife on her.

Fred told stories about all of the famous people he had met when he working at the restaurant across from Whattsamatta U.When he mentioned that he had met Rev. Jesse Jackson,Binnie told us a story of how she was trying to grab a cab and he had taken it from her.

Ethel commented how Binnie had lost weight from the last time she had seen her. That's because Binnie is getting laid on a regular basis. She's dating some random guy.I'm very thankful that she was too sauced to get on my case this year. Apparently they are having some get together on Saturday. Too bad I'm actually going to have plans of my own.

The ride home was very calm as well.After Minnie and Binnie sobered up,B.J. came over and took me to see Walk the Line. Considering my ADHD,this film kept my attention the entire time. Sometimes when I watching films,usually I start to squirm in my seat. The opening scene was completely unexpected.I had no idea Johnny Cash had such a tough upbringing. I totally understood how he felt when his dad made him feel like dirt. One of my ex-boyfriends,Mr. Musician, was a huge Johnny Cash fan.I didn't know that Mr. Cash had toured with Elvis. June Carter Cash gets my vote as saint of the century. Whoever edited the film should be in Oscar contention because it flowed so smoothly. I agree with the PG-13 rating. The film definitely had some life lessons in there. I loved how historically accurate the costuming was done. One of my favorite scenes was when Mr. and Mrs. Carter confront Johnny's drug dealer as he tries to deliver drugs to the house. The performances by Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix are Oscar worthy. Please go out and support this film.

The ride home sparked dialogue from B.J. which was a nice surprise for me. He talked about how no one really truly has it all. Everyone has problems going on behind closed doors. No one can truly be supportive if they are going through rough times. He said he didn't know anyone whose parents were as supportive as the Carters. He didn't believe when I told him I've been witness to such a family.

When I was at college #1,I became friends with a girl named Kate. In fact she was my Secret Santa on our dorm floor.She was valedictorian from her small town high school. We had some great times going to parties. She transferred out to go to pharmacy school.She is not only a pharmacist but she is on the faculty of her pharmacy school. I had the opportunity to spend the weekend with her at her parents place. I don't know what you can call it. Maybe an aura. I have never before and never since been in a house where I had felt so much love given and returned. I was so overcome I cried because it was the first time I had truly felt something that powerful. I know that this was missing from my own home. Regardless of who you were, in Kate's family treated everyone with love and respect. They were good listeners and interested in what you had to say without being judgmental. In fact, I ended up becoming a fan of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman after that weekend. We tried to keep in touch but I dropped the ball. It's one of the downsides of having ADHD.Failure to follow through. But one of the things I love about my friends. I may not seen them for a very long time. When the opportunity presents itself,we are able to pick where we left off as if a day hasn't gone by.

B.J. is concerned about his best friend Legal Beagle Larry. Something is up with him, because B.J. mentioned that Larry never wants to get together anymore. When he tells Larry good news, he isn't supportive which is very unLarry like. When B.J. was having interviews for his residency spots,I asked Larry to help give B.J. a pep talk. B.J. got in where he wanted because of Larry words of wisdom. Also Larry has put on some weight. I sat stunned when B.J. told me the news. I just told him that he needs to be an outlet for Larry to vent.We all go through some rough patches sometimes.It helps if you have someone there to fill in the potholes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home