Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Open a new window

I had a late start to my day. My tolerance for drinking is very low. I've trying to finish watching "Must Love Dogs". It is too cute. But the special features don't exist. Aside from the commentary from the director and a blooper reel, that was pretty much it. For some reason I prefer wide screen to full screen. It has to do with being able to see everything and not miss details. When a film is adjusted from the original film to adjust to a tv, I agree that some things are lost. I tried watching it after midnight but I just ended up falling asleep.

Of course the day started with me breaking one of my resolutions about being a kinder but gentler me in 2006. Ethel's new hairdryer is defective and of course according to Fred it's my fault that we didn't test it in the store. Well, I could have had a V8 too but life doesn't always work that way. I did feel bad though. I put it together and adjusted the height. In five minutes the neck kept falling down and bonnet did not adjust itself accordingly. All she did was complain and after 45 minutes I just had had enough. I didn't sneak in and beat it with a hammer. I would like to have a word with Joe or Jane Inspector on the assembly line who decided that this one was okay to ship in this condition from the Third World country that it came from. Where has the craftsmanship and pride in a job well done go to?

If you haven't already, go and get a copy of this month's horoscope on astologyzone.com . I find that this astrologist is most accurate. Yes it does contradict with my religious beliefs because it's a big no-no to be able to predict the future. I did love the daily quote from belief.net this morning. Perhaps this will be a motto for me to live my year.

"There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
-Anais Nin


Fred and Ethel apparently wanted to go to Uncle Maxim's house for New Year's Day. Stupid Minnie called this shot so I have to take them. Of course no one bothers to ask me what I want. So I get to spend the afternoon listen to sexist, racist, remarks by old men and fend off questions as to why I'm not dating, married, or lost weight, etc. Big fun let me tell you. Fred can't drive that far because his peripheral vision is completely shot to hell.
(post dinner update)
I survived the evening intact. It did not go as bad as I thought. Uncle Maxim's house is great. I loved the skylights in the kitchen. The kitchen looks into the formal dining room. I'd do shutters though. There were high ceilings and built in alcoves. Fred is such a liar. He claimed that they had no backyard. Um hello. They have a big honking deck and various fruit trees. I was lucky I got my directions from Uncle Maxim as opposed to the stylings of Fred screaming at from the top of his lungs for me to make various turns at the last minute and blame me if I miss an exit. The last time Fred and Ethel tried to get here they got lost. Aunt Frederica knocked herself out. There was enough food left over to send over to U.S. troops stationed overseas. Mr. Groper kept his distance. One of Aunt Frederica's brothers, Theodore and his wife Violet along with their daughters, Brandy and Candy, kept me in stiches. Violet is way cool. She has her B.A. in Business Administration and was in the Air Force. She presently in HR in some State gig. Her mom lives with her during the week and lives at her sister, Dottie, on the weekends.

Apparently my cousins B.J III and his sister Dinah, decided to party at downtown at the Marriot for $125- for the event that was open bar. Another $100 for the room. Parking was sixteen dollars. B.J III was disappointed because there weren't enough bartenders and the drink lines to up to a half hour wait. I joked that a couple could break up and find another date in that amount of time. He's dating some girl,Ella, he met through his sister. She is a "timekeeper" at the courthouse. She keeps the schedule of the officers who are on duty there. I asked if she had any other goals. He said she's pretty happy because it's a government job. Oh yeah that's what the suffragettes fought for, so she can have a job like that. He's looking to open up a restaurant. Um yeah with his parents money. Jackass. He just finished a class to be a building inspector. He was whining about the cost of liscensing and testing. I advised that he should try to get a real estate agency to sponsor him. He might as well get a real estate liscense too. I added he should pursue the building inspector job full-time so he could raise the cash for the restaurant and have a back plan in case it fails. He should know better because unfortunately 80% of restaurants fail in their first year.The inside scoop from Aunt Emma is that B.J.III dumped his longtime girlfriend, Virginia, because she wanted to get married and he didn't. Idiot. She is a pharmacist and could keep him in line.

Dinah is a spoiled little snot. The minute her trashy friends showed up, she ignored Brandy and Candy. I spent some time with the girls when I found them in the family room. I asked if this was a frequent thing that happens at this family function. They were very candid with me. Don't ask me how I do it. I have this uncanny ability or vibe where people will tell me things that they wouldn't necessarily tell anyone else. They informed me that Dinah will hang out with them but the minute anyone "cooler" shows up she blows them off. This is a common occurence. The girls and I had a blast. Watching "Pimp My Ride", talked about "My Sweet Sixteen" and chatting about what's hip in the tween and teenage sanctum.

Another annual occurrence is that Aunt Frederica's dining room can't fit everyone. I can't believe none of these people, who have background in the hospitality and restaurant management industry, did not suggest to add a banquet table and move the coffee table to the family room.We were crowded and that's not including the 12 people who didn't make it.

It's because I've heard Fred's stories way too many times. I wanted to stab my thigh with a fork so I could stop quoting the ending to his stories in my mind. At least I kept myself in check at the table.

We came home and I have some bizarre rash on my neck. I'm trying to figure out where it came from because I know I didn't have when we left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home