Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Signs, Signs, Everywhere Are Signs

The day started out like any other. I had my list of errands to run and Fred doesn't like the idea because that means he has to stay home until I get back. He decides that it's randomly laundry day. I almost didn't leave because he threw my schedule off. I'd like to give a shout out to IKEA for getting there act together.The parking lot was resdesigned so that the coveted spots closest to the entrance are designated for handicapped only. It was such a pita to try to park because so many people were too busy trying to get closest to the door. I like a close parking spot as much as the next person but come on. I had gone in to pick up some extra fasteners for my shelves on the bookcase since they had vanished somewhere.Schaumburg you're awesome.

On the way back I decided to stop by a vintage shop.I had always seen it on the way to and from taking either one to the hospital but had never stopped in because there I knew they wouldn't like it. Rightly so. I walk in and scan the place. The typical wares of Hummels, Waterford, etc. The owner comes in and it's none other than former neighor Bill. He was pretty tight with Fred and Ethel.But he didn't recognize me today. Usually he's all fakey nice if I'm with either parent. Well after he had moved Ethel was complaining about certain things going missing. Specifically some dessert plates with a pretty unusual design. I was stunned to find those same exact dishes together for twenty dollars. Then I spotted another glass vase that I know we had had in our place when I was growing up and was gone.Luckily another customer had
come in and I left the same time as she did. I didn't confront him because she never filed a police report. I hope he didn't steal from my parents. That would really suck if it's true and automatic loss of decent human being points.

Then I stopped into another store.There were signs everywhere. One was a plaque that read "Everything happens for a reason and you have to believe". Many years ago that phrase held for me some very hurt feelings and resentment. But now I'm able to see the beauty in what is possible from it.As well there was a pillow with a certain animal image and a crosstitch kit of a particular flower. I just about freaked out. But I didn't get them. I have to go back the same way tomorrow. If they are still there, maybe I will.

Next stop was medical supply shop to place an order for Ethel.That was uneventful but I was chatty.Then onto the pharmacy for a pick up for Fred.Final stop was at the thrift store. I spotted a framed speech about lawyers and a writing desk with a symbol on it. I didn't buy them either. All in all they made smile. Until I met the car with Consulate license plates.

Apparently in their country it's acceptable to not get in the proper lane and block anyone else from doing so.It's also okay to make a left hand turn while in the right
land and cut off the person in the left lane attempting to do so. All I did was honk my horn and no obscene gestures. Most likely I was ignored because hey I'm a chick. But the next time they aren't going to be so lucky. They may have diplomatic immunity but the blood still bleeds red when a bullet makes contact.

Then I get home and of course Fred decides to do something I'd like to call interpretative parking. He parks the car in such a way that after I parked he would need to repark or else hit car #2 in the process. I notice it and tell him. Instead of giving me the keys to the first car so I can park it correctly he yells at me to repark the car #2 in a even screwier way than he did. If I had followed his advice, I would have either hit his car or another neighbors in the process. I told him he was wrong and if he wants to do it then be my guest. Of course that didn't fly so the usual threat of "I'll throw you into the street with just the clothes on your back" came into play. I just walked away and went inside.

I told Ethel about sketchy former neighbor and what I had found. She didn't believe me and pretended not to hear a word that I had said. She asked to repeat the entire thing. I just lost it. She refuses to get a hearing aid. Then I either have to shout everything or make continuous repeated statements. Then there are the times she has selective hearing. I can never win. So I just exiled myself for the evening. I missed dinner but luckily had a stash of leftover Halloween candy. Sweetarts are awesome.

There's a possibility that I might be up the creek with Zach's gift. Apparently there's no problem having a corkscrew sent but a Thomas the Train bed linen set is a stretch for a particular store.Oh the joys of e-tag.I have faith that it's will all work itself out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home