Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Miss America Can Kindly Resign

Last night, I had a dream that I saw the late Grandma Starla. She was dressed to the nines. I remember she had a light brown stole or wrap around her shoulders. She looked absolutely remarkable. I was sitting in the back seat of a car. What kind? I couldn't tell you. But I was sitting behind the driver side. I rolled down the window and said "Hi Grandma!".She recognized my voice and turned from whoever she was talking to at the time. She smiled at me. I was the only grandchild out of the all of us who called her Grandma as opposed to the word for it in the motherland tongue. Okay dream analysts have it and break it down.

Lately I've been rearranging things. Purging things and cleaning up. I have no idea what's gotten into me but it appears my Oscar Madison days are over. I even put together the bookcase B.J. gave to me and put my books away. I have enough reading material to last me quite awhile. My plan of attack is donate whatever I can. The phrase that keeps going through my head is, "It's all about moving the Chi" and it's true.

Yesterday was the ritual of washing comforters.The local Laundromat wasn't as bad as I thought.But it took awhile and it's a ripoff to charge a quarter for ten minutes of drying time. I had a book to keep me occupied. On the drive the sign I kept seeing was "belong". I have no idea what to make of it. In the midst of all of this, I did a good deed for someone. I won't say what it is. One of the things that I have a lot of respect for is my parents as well as Uncle OG's opinion on this subject. If you have to advertise what you've done,meaning brag about it, then it doesn't count.

Today was my day to get beautified at the local student salon. Of course Fred takes off but I reassured Ethel and kept the cell phone on. I had to take time for me. I was lucky with the student who coiffed me. She was absolutely fabulous. She recommended a great tattoo place I hadn't heard of. It's called Deluxe on Irving Park. Ask for Sandra or Sara. We agreed that the Jade Dragon is just awful. She went to school with the owner's son and he was apparently a big jerk. I had a bad piercing experience there. They may advertise about famous people who've been there. I'd like to know how much did you have to pay for the out of court settlements for the shoddy workmanship of some of your employees. She also hooked me up to a new jumbo size vent brush. In other news, Sally Beauty Supply has opened up their discounts to the public. Five dollars is a good investment for a year.

People are certainly getting the Field's fever lately. EBay is going crazy with everyone and their uncle bidding on the coveted Christopher Radko limited edition design of the Field's clock. In some auctions they are going as high as $75.00. I myself wanted to find a musical snowglobe of the State Street store. Unfortunately, it was going for $150.00. I was chatting with one of the staff of My Sister's Closet about it. Their big sale is in progress until Jan. 9 so get your vintage groove on people. She was surprised and regretted selling a Field's cup before the frenzy. Channel 7 had an interview with arrogant Marshall Field V about his thought's to the end of the legacy. He was very non chalant about it all. But his family did sell it in the mid-80's. Even so he was a big PITA, when Museum Company tried to open a store at Water Tower Place. He pitched a fit and threatened to pull cash as well as take his bat and ball and go home if it ever went through. The company has now gone bust. All Field cared about was his causes. Cool dude.

Another discovery,if you apply tea tree oil to acne it helps heal the skin. Eco-friendly as well as economical.

I'm really having a hard time with trying to write a personal statement. It's a question of disclosure and how much detail to provide. I have a tendency to get wordy. As well,we all know I've stuck my big foot in it more times than I care to remember. I've put off doing this long enough. It's time to take the Nestea plunge.

Happy Birthday little one!!! Auntie Starla's life would have been very different if you weren't here. Thank you for the hugs, kisses, and giggles.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home