Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Feed Your Head

I forget that people actually read this blog. I'm sorry there's some shit going down that I may post from days prior but not today. You like me. You really like me.

Hey HP mega corporation, would it have been such an inconvenience for you cheap bastards to have included as USB cable? There would have been room in the box. Trust me.

Yes, today just was not a good day. First there was the argument with Ethel. I'm trying to encourage to take a class at the local Senior Center just to get out of the house. It's not doing her any good to sit there and get numb watching television. I'm just about ready to fly to the motherland and smack around the executives who put such trash on the station ala Three Stooges. Then I tried to finish up laundry and get out of the door before a trip to see someone. I was frantic that I was going to be late. I ended up being early and started reading a book in the waiting room. This woman with some level of down's syndrome comes over to where I'm seated. Next she takes some bracelets out of her pocket and says she wants to give them to me. I politely said no thank you and tried to read my book. She insisted again that I take these bunch of bracelets. Again I said no thank you and she just kept pestering me until I finally thanked her and placed them in the empty chair beside me. I thought it was over and tried to get back to my book. Then this woman with a muted green color sweater tells me I have to pay her five dollars for them. I'm thinking "WTH?". Then I have a flashback to my days of riding the Blue Line and seeing those poor deaf people trying to sell keychains. The local news later discovered it was some kind of slave labor/ indentured servant deal going on with these people. Their captors would beat them on a daily basis if they didn't bring home a quota in sales. Afterwards I told her no that I didn't have it, she just shot me a look and said "You dont?". I said "No I'm sorry I don't." Luckily the receptionist said something about maybe she should try and sell them to her parents the next time she sees them.

I had a good session. I'm going to have to start exercising though. The walk up several flights of stairs is had me out of breath. We just talked about what I wanted to accomplish within the next six months. She asked about what was going on with me and I shared present circumstances. For some bizarre reason I felt the need to share the wedding plans I've made for myself. No I'm not nuts. Just a girl.

Almost every woman has some aspect of the wedding that she wants special. I informed her of my location and how I wanted it intimate. I have no need to do the electric slide or the chicken dance. Although it is kinda funny. When I was 17, one of the Starla's and I talked about what our weddings would be like. I specifically remember telling her that I wanted some kind of blue and white dress because just the white dress is just so ordinary. She told me I was nuts. And this season what is the wedding dress trend easy readers? Eat your heart out Faith Popcorn.

She described my current state of circumstances as something called a double bind. I had never heard of it before. It made total sense. She said that Ethel is keeping me around for companionship because she doesn't want to be left alone with Fred. No kidding. I confronted Ethel on that scam a few weeks ago. Recent topics of discussion for me have also included on how to deal with the aftermath of being left behind after the death of a parent. This is especially a very tricky challenge for most adult children who take care of their parents. Unless there's a proper support system in place, being alone can be a lonely place. I felt it when I would watch Ethel sleep in the hospital room. Relatives can only do so much. Friendships are a challenge to maintain. I lost touch with everyone I knew from high school. But I'm still in a good time frame to reconnect with friends from college that I lost touch with. I totally know I'm going to need help to deal with my head.

For some reason I felt the need to babble on about my family. This was supposed to be ME time. I shocked the shit out of her with what I disclosed. I love my family but their disfunction isn't helping me. I just need to develop a detour route of sorts. At least a few things have been settled as to what I need to work on. I'm putting myself on a schedule of a minimum amount of time devoted to clutter. I did today's.

After my session I stopped off to get gas. Some random dude tried to pick me up. It was hard to keep a straight face because the line was very cheesy. I told him I would pray that he finds a date and his response was to praise Jesus. After watching Oprah show, there's no freaking way I would go out with him. I stopped by a few places and browsed.Of course I forgot my coupons and preferred card.

FYI to Congress, if you bastards decide to sit on the illegal alien issue for another three years, you suck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home