Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

If They Ask Me If I Could Write A Book

Attention Easy Readers:

This public service announcement will preempt my usual rant so that I may bring you the following notice.

The New Orleans Public Library(New Orleans, LA)

The New Orleans Public Library is asking for any and all hardcover and paperback books for people of all ages in an effort to restock the shelves after Katrina. The staff will assess which titles will be designated for its collections. The rest will be distributed to destitute families or sold for library fundraising. Please send your books to:

Rica A. Triggs, Public Relations
New Orleans Public Library
219 Loyola Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70112

If you tell the post office that they are for the library in New Orleans, they will give you the library rate which is slightly less than the book rate.


To say that I'm a avid reader is a understatement. I know I'm not the only one who loves books out here in blogland. Just imagine if the Harold Washington Library,The Newberry Library, or your local library was flooded out. You would sell your soul to Barnes and Noble, BooksAMillion, amazon.com or eBay to get access to a book. The local library is a place for people to feed their mind and nuture their souls. There hasn't been a time when I've babysat Zach where I haven't read him a story. How can the New Orleans Public Library have storytime for the little ones when they don't have the books? There adults who are trying to keep their wits about them while they struggle to rebuild amiss the chaos. They need their Calgon time too with a good book. Imagine how many books they'd have if everyone just donated one book.

I'm doing my part. Please do yours. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home