Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Friday, February 17, 2006

And bad mistakes, I've made a few

Jeez I feel like I've been punched in the gut. I doubt I'm the only one who does this. At the end of the day my brain runs through the days events. I analyze and usually I'm okay with how I handled things. Not today.

Zach is going through the constipated toddler stage. After reading bitchphd, this is more common than I thought. Well,poop gets stuff back in the crack and everyone is comfortable with cleaning it out for him. Not me. I'm not afraid of poop. I've changed his diaper plenty of times. But I think he needs to do this for himself. They're not doing him any favors by not letting him dig it out on his own with the toilet paper. It's not like it's not going to be cleaned when he gets his bath. Well he just wasn't into washing his hands. He's done it before but for whatever reason he refused.

This time I wasn't going to let it slide. The door was open I said you can't leave until you've washed your hands. He tried to head into the kitchen and I blocked him. He hit me. I sent him to go stand in the corner for 3 minutes. He took off to his room. I marched him right back and the timer started again. After the 3 minutes were over it was recap time. I knelt down and gently explained that it's wrong to hit when you're mad when you can use your words. It's important to wash your hands after you use the potty or else you can get sick. It was back to the drawing board or in our case the bathroom. He still refused to do it. I turned into a stern grownup. I turned on the tap, wet the soap and put it in his hands and washed them. They were finally clean but not after he screamed bloody murder. B.J. came running in to see what was the matter. I told him it was nothing. As I sit here now, I know I was wrong. I negated Zach's feelings and that's not right. I think I need a time out too.

But last night was all bad. I went to the local library to talk to the Children's Department to see if they could reccommend some books for me to read to Zach about some stuff he has going on. Wow some of the topics for young children is shocking. There were quite a few about a parent who has alcoholism. Because I was feeling snarky, I giggled when I read the title, When Mommy Gets Angry. I ended up with quite a few books.

When I picked him up after school, he gave me a picture he drew of a bridge. It's going up in my fridge and framed when I get the cash.Then we stopped to pick up some groceries. There wasn't the fun carts and the regular ones were wet from the rain. He held my hand while we picked out stuff. He only had 2 wants and overall did pretty well. If it wasn't raining I would have gotten him a balloon. He told me how he told his class how we played the matching game. He ate his dinner and took his medicine. We read stories. He's all into our family history. He kept asking question after question about our family. I felt bad that I wasn't up to snuff. I have to get on the ball and record Fred and Ethel.

Oh we exchanged Valentine's. I gave him a car one and I got a Cookie Monster with chocolate. Yes, I shared my chocolate with him. B.J. was happy that Fred and Ethel remembered him. I picked it up so Fred and B.J. could make up from the stupid fight they had had last week.

Today's sign was a personalized liscense plate that said WAKEBJ. I don't know what to do. Minnie came back from you know where. This trip however she was not wearing her either her wedding ring nor her engagement ring. I asked why and she gave me a song and dance how she doesn't go out enough to warrant her wearing it. WTFSIT? It bothered me how nonchalant she was about it. On the drive home I thought, my parents got her birthstone and diamond combo earrings. Did she just pawn those too? I don't know if I should bring it up. B.J. is changing jobs so she doesn't divorce him. I'm just so disgusted by the whole thing. I just have to pray on it.

Hey if you're in Chicago area, bundle up. Put on your hat. Get some hot chocolate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home