Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Friday, May 05, 2006

When Things Go Wrong Don't Give Up

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

I'm home nursing the spring virus that has racked my throat. I woke up this morning and was hoarse. As the day went on my voice improved but it took 50 paces back tonight. I watched Zach's class pageant at the Tiny Tot School. The woman who sat ahead of me was a ecological hazard. She had put so much shellaque er hairspray in her hair that myself, who had the lucky spot of being directly in ground zero ozone hell, and people three rows behind got a second hand high. Next time I'm bringing a mini can of Febreeze. Then it's go time grannie. I was tearing up until intermission. When it was over I was losing my voice all over again. By the time I left B.J. and Minnie's my voice was shot.

Minnie's mom was in town for the Tiny Tot Showcase. She is such a pistol. Minnie was on her best behavior. It must have been a real struggle for her to be nice to me. Suprisingly Minnie was almost friendly to me. As well, I was annoyed that she wasn't recognized for her hard work in the parents association. But when I came home that's when the paranoia kicked in.

I wasn't going to mention anything but it's always a good idea to leave a record behind when you're concerned about your safety. Today I had another run-in with the n'er do wells. I really could have done without the panic attack that followed later. But I was able to take a step back and refocus my energy toward something else. When I left this afternoon, I could have sworn that I had closed all of the windows before I left. Since I didn't bring my jacket with the hood, I knew there was a possibility of rain. Tonight when I got back, my bedroom window was wide open. Everything pretty much looks intact. But still I don't need the worry. Goddamn. It's not like I don't have enough on my plate. Just the same, there's shopping for a safety items.

However I'm being proactive. I think for my birthday instead of getting a hydrangea plant or a tattoo, I'll take some self-defense classes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home