Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Monday, September 11, 2006

You're The End Of My Rainbow

This has been such a bizarre day. It was typical in that I ate my bran cereal and had my cup of coffee. I got ahold of Dr. Curious to tell him about Fred's health problems. They were severe enough to get him a sameday visit. In typical Fred fashion, we took the roundabout way to get there. I held my tongue because I knew Fred wasn't feeling well.

Even though it was raining out, I managed to remain calm. During the office visit, Fred changed colors and had problems breathing. The cardiogram was the clincher. He needed to get to the closest er and fast. We couldn't wait for a ambulance so it was Fred and me in a game of beat the clock to get to the hospital. Fred took it in stride. On the outside I was composed but on the inside I was totally freaking out.

I'll say this for Haul Ass Hospital. They are on top of their security. I even had to wear a badge just to hang out in the emergency waiting room. The cnas who came to take them to his room rattled me a bit. One woman was training and Fred was her guinea pig. At one point they were having a disagreement, I just felt like saying, "Bitches step aside and let a real cna show you how it's done."

After we got to the room and he was tucked into bed, it was time for the dreaded call to B.J. He was so non-chalant about everything. In the waiting room I wanted to scream, "He's your father you jackass. Show some fucking concern and quit playing."
You know darn well that Minnie and coven would have flown at break neck speak on their brooms to get to widow Hanna. Argument number two was about going to class. I really didn't want to go. Okay part had to do with the fact that I didn't finish the assignment. But I just felt it was wrong.

When Ethel was in the hospital, she had people visit her around the clock. I didn't like the idea of Fred being by himself. Ethel had the same attitude as B.J. Like mother like son.

I'm just not ready to give Fred up. As sappy as this sounds, I love being daddy's little girl. Granted daddy has his moments of being a pita but so does everyone else. I want to hold on to his stories. He's so getting recorded for posterity along with Ethel.

Somehow I found the strength to crank out what I needed and headed to class. I had the most superb parking karma. By the time I got out of class, visiting hours were over. I was able to listen to the message B.J. left for me. I don't care what he says, I'm still going over to see him tomorrow. I did drive thru for dinner but I didn't enjoy it. Food doesn't hold the say joy for me anymore.

If you read this post, please say a prayer for my dad. Thank you.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm praying for him and seriously, if you need anything, you know where to find me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home