Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Never a reason, Never a rhyme.

I'm back safe and sound.Between my last post and me getting there. Mayhem ensued. Of course I couldn't get laundry done today because everyone else had the bright idea ahead of me. Then there was the issue of what to wear. The pants I wore were not the most flattering,I'm afraid.I was not happy about sporting the fupa and the backfat.When I find the sweater I wanted to wear,it decided to have a stain.I finally settled on a cardigan set I had purchased for a job interview but never wore.Here's a first for me, I gave myself a manicure and used a base coat,color, and top coat.Catsmeow was able to calm me down and remind me of my good points.You deserve a medal of honor for helping me get ready via the phone.The speakerphone option is a wonderful invention.I couldn't find a proper umbrella.Then my shoes decided to be difficult to put on.Just as I was about to leave,Fred and Ethel said it's time for dinner.Yeah no.Most likely it was a garlic and onion collision with a baked chicken. Under normal circumstances,I'd be thrilled but I was so freaked that my body would decide to toot and treat the entire theater to noxious fumes.

It was misty out so any makeup I had on was shot to hell.I go to the nearest gas station to fill up.I was so nervous that apparently I jammed the seatbelt so it couldn't move back.Not to mention that Mapquest almost cancelled this date too. FYI apparently Caribou Coffee has kicked it so even though Mapquest may list the location,when you try the number it has been disconnected.Luckily there is this great place on the corner of the intersection of Southport and Addison.I had a gingerbread latte with soy milk or else Dick Van Dyke wouldn't be the only one whistling. Ah the joys of lactose intolerance. Moral story of my hair is that I cannot put my hair up between lights.

I parked and hauled as to the corner.Mr. Potential was just sitting there.Even though I had seen his photo,meeting him was altogether different.We talked about our families,siblings,parents, and how goofy they can be.Even though we come from very different backgrounds,I was very surprised that our mothers had the very same attitude towards their children.I guess the mom handbook must come in several different languages.I was so relieved that he was talkative.One date I had at Border's on Michigan,the guy kept giving one word answers.

Mr. Potential called me to see where I was and I was on the intersection of Southport and Irving Park.Parking was no problem. In fact the Singalong with Mary Poppins was quite different from Singalong with The Sound of Music. With music, there nuns drinking Blue Nun.The theatre wasn't as crowded and this time a little girl won for her outfit as one of the kids.Because of the singalong there is assigned seating.After everyone figured out they could change seats,they did just that. It was hilarious, that we were the only ones in 2 rows.I was concerned that The Music Box was going to shine a spotlight and announce "For your viewing pleasure this evening, I give a couple's first date.". Mr. Potential was a good sport. Not many straight guys would sit through "Mary Poppins". But I did make Mr. Musician sit through "The Sound of Music" when we were at his place. The crowd was very mellow. Once again, I didn't dress up but I have some good ideas for costumes for the future.

Being my usual goofball self, I sang and did the antics.Mr. Potential who I'll now call Mr. Date did make loud remarks when you were supposed to sometimes.But he called himself a party pooper. Keep in mind this movie was his idea not mine. I couldn't figure him out. He kept his hands to himself. Yawned once. Lamented about misplacing his gloves.I'll admit it when he left to use the restroom I checked to see what time it was because my ADHD was acting up. Towards the end of the film, he began to get more active.

A nice surprise was when he offered to walk me to the car. We chatted some more. Then the awkward time. He said he'd call me but I cut him off accidentally. I didn't want it to be the empty promise. I hoped I thanked him for a lovely evening. He gave me a hug. I have no clue what happens next but I did have fun.

On the drive home, I kept thinking,so this is what a normal date with a good and decent man is supposed to be like.No touchy feely with false expectation. No trying to get into my pants for a one hit wonder. I am so proud of myself for not screwing it up too badly.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looking forward to chapter 2!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home