Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Hi there easy readers!

It's been awhile and I'll recap from when the snow debuted in Illinois and caused a series of events which have led me to a sullen Sunday or sorts.

Wednesday evening was low key.The minute I showed up at B.J.'s, Minnie was out of the door.If life could only be that shallow.B.J. had Cousin WallStreet Wally over. He's one of Zach's Godparents.Wally is a great guy.He's all grown up and was telling us stories of office drama.His favorite boss hired a psycho super bitch who didn't show herself until it was too late.Favorite boss got transferred back to where he came from and everyone hates her. Gee doesn't THAT sound too familiar. We just hung out and Minnie actually came home on time for a change.I should have known that trouble was coming just around the corner for us all.

Thursday evening the snow hit.It wasn't a big secret.There were news reports about it.I called first to make sure I needed to show up. After that I planned accordingly to leave a bit earlier than I normally do since I had to fill up the car and wanted to stop by at a few places before I went to B.J. and Minnie's place.I don't know who's the Grand Poohbah of snow clearing the roads but all I have to say is that you suck big time.A normal 15 min. drive turned into 3 hours tour.It's not like this weather is uncommon to the state. Every year it snows for the most part. Therefore common sense should tell you that when the first flake hits you get the fleet of salt trucks, snow removal trucks out there. There has not been an increase of roads in the Chicago area. The math should have been easy to follow for this equation. Instead every road was a big parking lot. If I wasn't pro-choice, I could have ordered a pizza from Domino's while I was sitting in the car and had it delivered to me on Devon Ave.

After I finally make it there,Minnie claimed that they considered canceling their plans but felt it was going to be fine. Whatever. It even took B.J. longer than usual to pick up the little fella.My evening consisted of getting my doses of Christmas claymation specials that I loved as a kid. Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer and A Year Without A Santa Claus.And no movie mini marathon is complete without Barney. I caught a glimpse on CNN of the accident at Midway involving the Southwest jet that skidded off the runway and into the street. It rattled Zach enough to have him ask me to turn it off and that was just viewing it for less than 3 minutes. I had settled into our usual routine of helping him with his jammies,brushing teeth, saying prayers, and reading bedtime stories until he drifted off to sleep.

Storytime was interrupted by a phone call allegedly from one of Minnie's best friends from backhome. Quinn was completely freaked out over the whole thing. Honestly, I didn't remember that it was a friend of Minnie's and thought this was some nut trying to set me up for robbery,asking me if I was home alone etc... I so wanted to say,"So how's your sister Daria and her friend Jane?" but I chilled.Quinn babbled on and I calmed her down that her beloved Minnie was only out locally for the evening. She laid some song and dance about how I sounded like B.J.,how soothing my voice was, how much Minnie appreciates me and how much she trusts me. Yeah right. As the conversation continued I thought,"Did Minnie put you up to this? Are you high?" Furthermore, now that I think about it. If she's such a good friend of hers then she would know Minnie's schedule. Gee coinicidence she called? Luckily Zach bellowed about how he wanted his stories and that ended my conversation.
He couldn't fall asleep and kept asking for his mommy and daddy.I called my parents to see if talking to them would cheer them up. It didn't work.

After they were over 2 hours late, I finally called Minnie's cell to see if they were stuck or needed a tow. Minnie replied, "I had no idea we were running this late. One minute it was nine and the next minute I looked at my watch, it was eleven.We're on our way home now." I was seething but let it go because I had to get Zach to sleep. He wasn't reassured after I told him they were on the way home. I ended up having to rock him in my arms and sing him a lullaby that I used when he was just a baby.Twenty minutes into his sleep, they came through the door. The streets still hadn't been cleaned.Guess who slept over?

Friday morning consisted of me waiting for one of them to wake up because I was afraid to leave Zach's room.I didn't want to be the one to set off the alarm.The conversation at the kitchen table brought things to light.B.J. mentioned how they did have fun but didn't know when they would be able to see Snooty Smug Married Friends of Minnie's again. Minnie said,"Oh, we're going to their place Christmas night because they're having a openhouse.".If I could have had my ears blow steam like in a cartoon,I would have done it. How selfish can she get? I wasted gas money, my time, missed out on book club(which she knew about), and as well as screwing up things with Chez Paul for this,I'll get to that later. This was so not cool. A lump of coal and mineral oil in your stocking.As well when I was trying to confirm plans to take Zach to a children's holiday program over the weekend,suprisingly Minnie said they had plans.Gee you didn't have plans when I mentioned this two weeks ago.

After I mentioned that Quinn called, I said I wasn't sure who she was and that I held my tongue against saying anything rude to the person on the phone. Minnie got all miffed that I would behave rudely toward any of her friends. Screw you. To add insult to injury, B.J. cleans his car and Minnie's but doesn't offer to do jack to mine. Oh yeah I felt the brotherly love let me tell you. B.J. couldn't figure out that I couldn't move my car until he did because of the snow. After escaping, I treated myself to breakfast at McD's. That was the only thing that went right all day.

Upon returning home,I discovered Fred shoveling.He only has 25% use of his heart left.He is under doctor's orders not to overexert himself or he'll die.I felt so guilty I wasn't here to help out.Minnie has to get her way. At least when Fred find out that B.J. didn't help me clean my car, he was mad and told me not to help them out anymore.You know damn well if they had to pay for a babysitter that there asses would have been back on time.

Saturday was get Ethel out of the house.We did grocery shopping and stocked up on colonoscopy supplies.Because she doesn't get out as often as she used to, she's lost some of her social skills.I'm going to try to get her to the gym so she can exercise.After I got her home, I took off for some alone time. I love watching It's a Wonderful Life. Thank you State Farm Insurance who kept letting the viewing public know that it was the sponsor. I cried when I saw the photo of little Joshua Woods. He's the only one who died when the car his dad was driving was hit by the Southwest airplane. No amount of money in a lawsuit is going to bring that little boy back. Newsreports say he was singing "Santa Claus is coming to town". RIP little guy.

SNL was great. It was hilarious to watch Alec Baldwin in the opening sketch.They did a tribute to Richard Pryor who also died after a 19 year battle with multiple sclerosis.They showed the sketch he did with Chevy Chase. It was the word association one.After all of these years it still gives me the giggles.RIP Mr. Pryor.

Meanwhile getting back to Chez Paul and the debacle of whatever it was we had.We had gotten into a routine of daily emails.Twice a day turned into once a day. That was my doing.I didn't want to have to deal with the fact that I'd see him online and he'd never say hello. Well I didn't return his email on Thursday, he must have gotten mad at me. But keep in mind, he has my number and could have called me. His last few emails did get odd. He mentioned that he had "a friend out of town who was needy" and "he feels guilty". I guess that's code for his other gf and I was supposed to be a one hit fat wonder. I finally said what are you feeling guilty about and he has not written back. So my payback is today. Also I missed Mr. Potential #2's birthday which was Friday. I tried sending an e-card but it said it was undeliverable.Oh yeah my dating prospects have been completely shot to hell. Fine by me. I didn't want to have to deal with the prospect of dating two guys at once. Dating someone new close to the holidays just bites the big one.

Oh there isn't enough Mr. Hankey in the world to show how much I appreciate Minnie for her random acts of selfishness.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Starla dear. I'm sorry to hear of your sullen days. I'll try and get a hold of you this evening so that we can chat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home