Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Afternoon Delight

Get your mind out of the gutters, easy readers! Today I was good. I drove Fred and Ethel to spend the afternoon with Zach who was home with bronchitis. His cough sounded like he needed to cut his 5 pack-a-day habit. Poor thing.

He was so excited to see us. He peeked through the mailbox slot on the door. He made sure we didn't get passed him without getting a hug first. My parents loaded with him with the junkfood jackpot of cookies, graham crackers, and chocolate. If we had gotten marshmellows we could have made smores. But I made sure that B.J. put the snacks away or else the sugar shock would have been too much. I completely dropped the ball and forgot to bring my books for reading time and some cute animal stickers.

Never fear though,one of the coven's brooms touched ground recently to nanny him while Minnie was out of town and loaded him up on stickers. The was the rule of fashion today. Fred, Ethel, and I were decorated in an array of stickers featuring animals and construction equipment. We banged spoons on a empty coffee can and metal bowl respectfully. He was very impressed that I could balance a spoon on my nose with no hands. Too bad I can't list that as one of my strengths when I go in for job interviews.

We read books, giggled, and danced all together. He pointed out that it was snowing to Grandpa very excitedly. He wanted to take out his sled so bad. From the window, Zach and I watched the snow fall to the ground. He asked why the snow just stuck to the ground. I told him because it was warm enough that the snow turns into water to help the plants grow. He looks me right in the eye and says "WOW, THAT'S AMAZING". Then he proceeded to run around in circles.

One thing irked me. When Zach was showing off his room, he was able to remember every gift the member of the coven had gotten him to a t.However the gifts that my parents and I gave him were given by "his grownup friends". I asked him who said that. He said mommy. He said this in front of me and my mom. Her face looked how I felt. Inside I was devastated and hurt. I can only what kind of verbals digs are being said at my parents or mine expense in front of this impressionable child by Minne et al.. Hey I guess I should consider myself lucky that the gifts were kept at all. Since our gifts to him are usually the ones that get threatened to be tossed out first when he misbehaves, no wonder he doesn't have an attachment to them. I just have to shake my head and be grateful for any time we get to spend with him.

He listened to Grandpa make animal noises. Zach reminded Grandma that couches are for sitting and NOT for taking naps. We all got a break from Zach when we each took turns playing hide-n-go seek with him separately. The little sneak tried to open his eyes when counting but I busted him on it.

When it was time to leave, he was sad but without any coaching he gaves us hugs and thanked us for coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home