Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

LIfe is a highway

Last night's dream involved me looking into a mirror to find that my face had upside down v's on my face. They were just there. They weren't huge but enough to leaving me wondering.I have no clue how they got here. Any takers as to what it means?

This taking vitamins before you go to sleep thing is a stroke of genius. Thank you Kathy O'Malley. On the other hand, I wasted an evening chopping onions for a household hint. I thought I had the wuss gene because anytime I have to cut an onion I'd just ball like Weeping Wanda. After onion number 4, the crying gene takes a powder and let's you do your thing.

Well it was my turn to be Weeping Wanda. As I was about to make Ethel lunch, Fred provides the lunchtime soap opera. He launches into how he's going to go the pharmacy and give them what for. As with everything else these days, automated telephone systems have been around for several years. Fred just cannot deal. He cancelled his membership to AAA because of it. The family Bluesmobile died on some local road in the middle of a wind-chill temperature day. He called the 1-800 number on the card at the time. It went into automated system mode. The concept was so over Fred's head it might as well have been someone's lost contact in Lake Michigan. He said that he couldn't get ahold of anyone after which he called back here. If I remember correctly, B.J. went and picked him. Well that card hit the can and was never seen from again.

So I step up and at first kindly remind him that it's not the pharmacy's fault for the automated system being in place. He grumbled on and I just followed direction like I usually did when I ordered their meds. When I finally got ahold of a live person, Fred shouted,"You tell them it's for Mr. Fred, and to have it ready yesterday.". I stopped my conversation with the pharm tech and told him to chill out. After I got off of the phone, I explained that contrary to his delusions he's not Prince or Elvis. If the tech is new and never seen him before, saying it's for Mr. Fred isn't going to mean squat. I told him that I had written the amount on the message pad. Then Fred starts spinning it on me how this is ALL my fault. Ethel chimes in, "That's right Starla, apologize to your father for being wrong". My good mood lasted until those last words came out of her mouth. I felt hurt and angry.

First of all, these meds had a prescription that was expired which Fred knew about to renew and told me he was going to handle. Fine. Then there was the delay because the tech's had to get Dr. Curious's approval before dispensing it. Followed by some reason Fred didn't want me to them pick up. Okay. Yesterday the pharmacy left a message stating that the medicine arrived and that there was a three day window to pick it up. He starts on a tirade where he berates me about how I'm worthless, etc...
Then he has the audacity to ask me to go handle paperwork. Meanwhile during all of this Ethel keeps interuppting to try and change the subject. I just walked out. I could still hear him screaming through the door. And Ethel wonders why I'm not married. Oh yeah. What a feeling.

I tried multitasking and thought it would be a good a idea to catch up on paperwork while watching a movie that was soon due at the library. It was "Tuesdays With Morrie". Big mistake. Humanity Critic devoted a entry to crying recently. I challenge him to watch this and try not to cry. I couldn't do it. This feeling of emotion just welled up and the tears just poured through like a endless Niagara Falls. It just wouldn't stop. Of course this is the one day I choose to wear makeup and concealer. All gone. Not a tissue to be found anywhere. The dvd was having problems so I ended reading the last two chapters that I never got around to finishing when I read it the first go around awhile ago. I can't recall that I was ever so moved by reading a book that I was moved to cry yet again. I've experienced every other emotion when I was reading but never Niagara Falls tears.

It was very cleansing. He gave some insight into relationships that I hadn't known about before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home