Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Homeward Bound

This morning is a mixture of emotion. Today Mrs. Coretta Scott King has left this world and bound for glory in heaven. This remarkable woman was a beacon of hope after her husband was asassinated at such an early age. Her raised her four children and this nation's consciousness to believe that civil rights can be acheived with the use of non-violence. She set aside her own dreams as a classically trained opera singer to work alongside her husband in the struggle of injustice. Every time I ever saw in a interview or in a photograph, she always presented herself as a very classy lady. Our world is a bit sadder for her being gone. I'm even more saddened to know that she had ovarian cancer and the cancer won. My heart goes out to her children. I know what is like to be a child who has a mom dance with the devil of this cancer. The alternative treatment I'm told that she was seeking was actually not in her best interest. Dr. Curious told me a story of how one of his patients went to a place like where Mrs. King was located in Mexico. His patient was given caffeine enemas claiming this would stop the cancer. This treatment only served to accelerate the cancer and died 3 months later. If we're in NAFTA then let's bust the chops of doctors south of the border who aren't qualified as well. I believe in holistic treatments and they are best administered by someone who is qualified and certified legally. I really hope that this time the big three wake up and televise her funeral.

In the same post I need to ask for prayers for another young lady who has gone missing. Jennifer Kesse has been missing for over a week. Most likely when the FBI gets involved the national coverage will begin. There is a reward for her capture. If you'd like to help go to this link and post a copy of this missing person's flyer at your nearest grocery, library, homeless shelter, or place of worship.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Caffeine enemas do not accelerate cancer. They have helped me and I thought it was the strangest damn thing when I first heard about it.

    Just wanted to tell you that I loved your definition of a Spinster. Helps to remind me that we are many things.
    Jeanne

     

Post a Comment

<< Home