Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A Closer Walk With Thee

Yesterday I took Ethel to Morning Mass so she could take communion. She has this tendency to always get the time wrong as to when it starts. The last time we went during Easter we even beat the priest to church. She was so sure it started a 8am. I told it that it wasn't the case. I asked her to find the church bulletin. She said I had it. Of course I had misplaced it. She's gets upset at me. I mentioned that she could have easily called the church office on Friday if she wanted to confirm what time the mass would begin. I guess Ethel's recently departed sister Marion must have been looming over because I woke up at 5am. I searched and found it. Praise be showtime wasn't until 9a.m.

I still have issues with Brand X Church and I just couldn't bring myself to take communion in a place that treated me poorly in the past. At least dressing myself wasn't a drama. Since I recently reorganized my beauty aids, I was able to wear a neat clip that I hadn't used in a while. Ethel dressed accordingly but was a rebel because she wore hiking boots with her long skirt. I dropped her off in front so she wouldn't have to walk through the snow. Wouldn't you know it, I parked next to a man who was smoking in his car. For a minute I was envious. The church was rather empty and it was very soothing. She picked a pew in the back. I paid my respects in the lobby, lit my candles, and sat next to her. Because she has a hearing problem and refuses to get a hearing aid, she starts to shout at me about how she's the only old lady wearing boots while the other church ladies were wearing pumps. I had to shush her. Since there weren't that many people her voice carried up to the Apostles.

The real fun was when the church preschool kids came in to hang out. The boys and girls were jockeying to get in the front pew. Then the usual poking and pushing at each other. There was one little girl who sat with her mom a few pews ahead of me and Ethel. She was rather bored and decided to wear her white winter hat with attached scarf on her head and prance back and forth in the pew. Her mom was completely oblivious to what she was doing. I didn't say anything because her mom finally caught a clue and busted her. She used the old pinch on the arm and tugging of the ear to get her to sit down. Oh yeah I remember those days of getting the pinch during services when I wasn't behaving.

I felt a sense of calm that I hadn't felt in a long time.The meanie priest was a cantor on the sidelines and a new in-training priest was in charge for Monday's service. Even though meanie priest was there, I wasn't going to let him ruin my day. The sermon was on how God was the security guard of all of us. I took it to heart. I decided to forgive him and send vibes of love and forgiveness. I can still love God, my religion, and take my communion elsewhere. Like a scene from the Blue Brothers, a beam of sunlight went through the stained glass windows and hit the pew that Ethel and I were sitting in. It just set the tone for the rest of the day. After Ethel got communion she wanted to bolt but I convinced to stay for the rest of the service. It's not like she could have gone anywhere, I had the keys and she doesn't know how to hot wire a car. It was a great way to start the day.

Chez Paul claimed he accidentally deleted a email he was going to send me. Good grief he's pathetic. This is the second time he's mentioned it. I have no idea why he even bothers with me. This isn't me feeling sorry for myself. This is me being totally annoyed with him. Of course I haven't be able to get in touch with Mr. Potential #2. Oh well.

Today I spent the morning rearranging the living room because Ethel claimed I wasn't doing my part to promote Christmas. I spent four hours moving things around and putting things up. I take off to go to the store. Of course when I get back everything that I had done had been moved. Apparently it didn't pass muster with Fred. I wasn't so much mad as I was disappointed. I'm tired of knocking myself out and being told that I'm wrong. This isn't the Olympics of decorating. I'm not a love child of Martha Stewart. At least I made an effort. I know that they'll never be satisfied with me. That's fine by me. It's their lump of coal to handle and not mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home