Modern Day Spinster

The expected definition of a spinster is to just be a single and never married woman. If it were only that simple. I am a daughter, sister, auntie, friend, babysitter, alumna, artist, writer, diva, comedienne, bitch, caregiver, confidante, adviser, stylist, cheerleader, singer, dancer, activist, referee, sinner, saint, lover and occassional dater. Watch as I try to balance multiple spinning plates of relationships, responsibiilities, and reactions to life.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

These Three Words

Happy Mother's Day!!!

I was all set to take Ethel to church complete with corsage. She didn't feel well. B.J. said the flu bug is going around and Zach has it bad. We had plans to make a card for Ethel that went down the toity. I picked Hallmarks for Fred and myself to give to her.

Today's title comes from a song by Stevie Wonder. Courtesy of WGCI and Effie Rolfe. The first time I heard it I weeped hard. It was then I knew this song would be played at my reception someday. It serves as a reminder to say it often to those you love because sometimes we do take others for granted. Admit it, we've all done it.

This afternoon's matinee was "The Poseidon". Yes I know I blasted it but B.J. wanted to go see it. Streets of Woodfield Theaters are the bomb diggity. Comfy seats and still has the new fresh smell. The best part about this movie was it was kiddie free. Finally! Althought the script was tweaked, it wasn't that bad. I'd rather see Josh Lucas than Shelly Winters swimming any day. I understand now why B.J. wanted to see it on the big screen. A film like this can only be appreciated on a IMAX size screen. If someone sees this on a Plasma TV or a smaller set, the director's perspective is lost.

After B.J. left, I gave Ethel her cards. She was unimpressed to say the least. "I don't see what the big deal is, all you did was sign your name." Okayyyyy. Yeah that's my mom. It hurt my feelings. I didn't lash out as so much was disappointed in her reaction. Not that I was expecting a parade but just a simple thank you. Someone better than I has said the following. You can't change people's reactions, only your reactions to people. That's what I intend to do. Even Fred pointed out how mean she was to me. Her false attempt at apology hurt more than the initial dig. It's such a Minnie move. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home